Reporting Church sexual abuse

If you have experienced sexual abuse by members of the Church it should be reported to the police.

The police have the capability to fully investigate any claims of sexual abuse.

If requested the Church will provide assistance to anyone in taking their allegation to the police and will fully cooperate with the police in any investigation.

To contact the police in New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australian, Tasmania, Northern Territory, the Australian Capital Territory call: 131 444

To contact the Police in Victoria call: 1800 333 000

The police can also be contacted by visiting your local police station.

You can report abuse to the Catholic Church by contacting the Church’s National Committee for Professional Standards by email: or by calling: (02) 9669 6218

If you are having trouble deciding whether or not to report sexual abuse in the Church there is a free service that might help.

Ethi-call is a confidential ethics counselling service offered free by St James Ethics Centre - an independent organisation with no religious or political affiliations. Click here to find out more.

Newsletter image

The Council concluded its work on 30 April 2018 and is no longer distributing any material about its work.